So, my last post was about the loss of my wonderful mom. Losing my mom has made me truly appreciate how amazing my dad is, and calendar wise, that brings us to Father's Day! This year, we had tickets for the Cardinal's game on Father's Day. We thought about giving them away. We thought about Scott taking his dad or my dad or both. In the end, we decided it was time for Lucas's and Logan's first game. We knew the risk of taking 2 two-year-olds and a four-year-old to the baseball game in St. Louis in the middle of June, but we made up our minds. We decided, if we only last 2 innings, who cares? The tickets were free and the kids wouldn't know the difference anyway. It would be the experience of just being there, that they would appreciate. So...we went. We parked a couple blocks away and made the hike.
We got seated. We stayed there for about one and a half innings and then took a break in the air-conditioned snack snack bar area. They had some free ice water from dixie cups, which may have been the best part of the day for the kids. After cooling off for a bit, we took a little walk around the stadium checking out all of the different areas, and then that was that. The kids enjoyed it, we left before there were any meltdowns and we enjoyed a nice ride on a bicycle taxi back to the car!
Then we drove to Daniel and Laura's to swim, grill some food and celebrate Father's day with my dad. These days I get a lot of people asking "How's your dad?" My answer is always similar. He has amazed me everyday since we lost my mom. You never know what will happen when the pillar of your family is gone. In our case, luckily, my dad has stepped up like I could never imagine. Our first Christmas without mom was sort of a crossroads. Would he shop? Would he give money? What would Christmas be like this year. Well, he shopped. Not only did he shop, but he ROCKED at shopping. We all got great gifts and the kids got perfect gifts from him. Carhat hats and camo vests for the boys. A ring for Alayna (mom wanted to get one for her for her birthday, but couldn't make it). I have a new appreciation for my dad that I never had before. I used to call their house and if he answered it was, "Hi Dad, is Mom there?" I now have long conversations with him like I used to with her. He has good advice and knows a lot more about how he and mom handled things when we were kids than I could have ever guessed! He frequently babysits for us and for Daniel's kids. Of course that involves changing those not so pleasant diapers, which he NEVER did before. He revealed to Scott, though, that no one ever asked him too and why would he volunteer!? Good point, Dad. I know he misses my mom. They were best friends. I think of him often when things are so hectic in the evenings at our house. I think about how quiet it is at his house. He is an inspiration to me and a ROCK STAR to my kids.
Another tear-jerker...but I enjoyed this one too!!
ReplyDeleteYEp, I am crying...But I love this post!
ReplyDelete